Monday, February 11, 2008

Juno

I am so glad the movie Juno has stayed on long enough for me to get to see it. It's shameful how many movies I have wanted to see that leave the theaters before I can get there. Of course, the movies I prefer are not all those ridiculous rom-coms starring Kate Hudson, but smaller, independent films (and if they are British - all the better!). Last summer I started reading about Juno. It stars four of my fave actors - Ellen Page (one of the very few decent things about X3), Jennifer Garner (forever wonderful Sydney Bristow to me, and even sparkling as Electra), Jason Bateman and Michael Cera (who played father and son in the absolute gem Arrested Development for way too short a time on the small screen).

So I have been waiting to find time to get to the theater, and so thankful for all the awards and noms the movie is getting. And yes, it was well worth the wait. The story isn't really realistic (but hey - we all know Mr. Darcy doesn't exist, either), but that's beside the point. It's the characters and how they engage each other in the storyline that is so real. The acting is just superb, and there are plenty of laughs to be had. It is great to see a strong young woman in a lead role, especially since she is not perfect and finds herself in a difficult situation. It's even better to see parents who can support without being totally bananas, and even better yet to see a sweet, nerdy guy as the one a girl can't do without. Such a nice alternative from usual teen portrayals in the movies.

Yet, my heart is with the adoptive mother of the teenagers' unplanned baby. Jennifer Garner is always so compelling and real, but especially as the yuppie mom wanting to be a mother more than anything. In the midst of a world where fairy tales don't happen and love is by no means always easy, she provides the hope and foundation a child always needs. Wow.

Go see the movie. One of the best out there.



No comments: